Forum Home  >  Forums  >  Music and Sound  >  Thread

Another Music Contest!  Please vote! (voting over)

Re: Another Music Contest!  Please vote! (voting over)

by Jonathan_Williams on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:24am

I wrote a piece for a competition and would really appreciate votes!

The composition was made with the idea of a movie theme for the Roman Empire.  You can listen, vote, and share the song here: https://apps.facebook.com/garritancomposer/entry/rome-the-empire/

You can vote everyday from now until the 22nd.  Let’s show that this community is a strong one!  smile

Thanks!
Jonathan

[ Edited: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:28pm by Jonathan_Williams ]
Jonathan_Williams
11 posts
Joined Mar 12, 2012

by Stephen Nasby on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:39pm

Would be awesome to hear your piece with better sounds. Tough to get the full potential of the music. I voted for ya, will bookmark the page and try to remember to keep voting, and I am going to share the link on Facebook, if for no other reason than you asked for support and there ya go. Hope you win! smile

Stephen Nasby
165 posts
Joined Jun 17, 2007

by Jonathan_Williams on Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:01pm

Really appreciate that, Stephen.  I did want to use better sounds, but had to use those for the contest (part of the rules).  Also the 1:30 max length made it hard to choose what themes to develop.  Will probably revamp it later and with better sounds.

Thanks again for your support!
Jonathan

Jonathan_Williams
11 posts
Joined Mar 12, 2012

by Jonathan_Williams on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47am

Jonathan W wrote:

You can listen, vote, and share the song here: https://apps.facebook.com/garritancomposer/entry/rome-the-empire/

You can vote everyday from now until the 22nd.

Just wanted to ask once again that folks who have time place a vote and listen to the piece I composed.  There are only a few days left to vote and with enough support from fellow musicians and film makers I may be able to attain the top 10 for a shot at one of 3 awards.  Cash goes a long way in making film and ministry related things possible. wink

Thank you and blessings!’
Jonathan

Jonathan_Williams
11 posts
Joined Mar 12, 2012

by Stephen Nasby on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:14pm

Hey, Jonathan! Didn’t remember to go back and keep voting, sorry about that. But, how’d ya do? I noticed your votes over 500 and having a quick peak at the other entries page, seems like you were higher than anything they showed on that short list.  smile

Stephen Nasby
165 posts
Joined Jun 17, 2007

by Jonathan_Williams on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:16pm

Hey Stephen!  Yes, I did very well, highest in votes in fact.  cool smile  Lots of folks helped me spread the word and vote which made an amazing turn out these last few days, so no worries about forgetting to vote again.  I just appreciate your taking the time to do it once and share.

FYI the top ten entries are now going to be judged based on the contest criteria and three will get awards.  This is pretty exciting since the grand prize is a $2,000 United Airlines gift card and $500 spending money and the two runner up entries get a $700 gift card.  Going to be exciting to hear who wins though being first is votes is amazing already!

Will post here once I get any word on the winners.

Jonathan

Jonathan_Williams
11 posts
Joined Mar 12, 2012

by Bradley Jamrozik on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57pm

Just got this in my inbox…

http://blog.finalemusic.com/post/2012/03/22/Finalists-Selected-in-Garritan-Composition-Contest.aspx

Congrats on making it to the finals, Jonathan!

Bradley Jamrozik
200 posts
Joined Jun 16, 2011

by Jonathan_Williams on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42pm

Thanks, Bradley.  I saw in another thread you have done some composing with Garritan sounds yourself.  By chance did you enter this contest as well?

Jonathan

Jonathan_Williams
11 posts
Joined Mar 12, 2012

by Bradley Jamrozik on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03pm

Unfortunately, no, I didn’t enter. I had really wanted to, but I just didn’t have the time; school’s been kinda crazy lately. smile

Must’ve been fun, though. That motif they made everyone use was pretty interesting!

Did you use Finale as your sound generator or did you work in a DAW?

Bradley Jamrozik
200 posts
Joined Jun 16, 2011

by Jonathan_Williams on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:30pm

Well, I had the advantage of no school and some extra time on my hands.  I actually composed it one day while I had nothing else going on, so not a whole lot of time involved (about 12 hours overall, I think).

I used Cubase to produce the project and audio mix.  I would have added some equalizers and such, but wasn’t sure if that was allowed since they are not Garritan products.  Sound is a little rough as is, but not to bad.

The motif was interesting for sure.  I had one tune I scrapped due to it being nothing that stood out from other entries at the time.  Since I like the more thematic and exciting type of compositions I did not use the motif a lot in the exact form given, but built on it with variations as you might have noticed from listening.  I personally think this a better use of the motif, kind of like classical pieces that do variations of a main theme, but we will soon see what the judges think.

It was a lot of fun, and regardless of who wins the awards I enjoyed composing the work and think it one of my better works of late.

Jonathan

Jonathan_Williams
11 posts
Joined Mar 12, 2012