Forum Home  >  Forums  >  Producing and Directing  >  Thread

What does a producer need to know?

Re: What does a producer need to know?

by Michael Traven on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:40pm

(...I need me a PA/intern…)

By “intern” do you (as in, producers in general) mean unpaid intern?  Because I’ve heard some people say unpaid intern, and others say intern, and I wondered if they were the same, or if some jobs pay and others don’t.  I don’t understand how anyone (as all the great stories tell) moves to L.A. and starts off as an unpaid PA.  How could you live in Hollywood without being paid for your work (yes, I mean aside from taking coins out of the penny fountain wink )?

~ Eric

Michael Traven
4702 posts
Joined Oct 05, 2007

by Calix Lewis Reneau on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:09pm

Eric Belliner wrote:

By “intern” do you (as in, producers in general) mean unpaid intern?

Yes.

Pretty much all the time it means unpaid.  You can get paid assistant positions, and paid PA positions, and even the occasional paid intern position pops up - but those are usually filled by folk who had spent some time doing the same thing unpaid.

Eric Belliner wrote:

I don’t understand how anyone (as all the great stories tell) moves to L.A. and starts off as an unpaid PA.  How could you live in Hollywood without being paid for your work (yes, I mean aside from taking coins out of the penny fountain wink )?

It’s magic and pixie dust!  raspberry

Seriously, being an intern/PA is known to be a non-paying gig, and in most cases is either a couple-day-a-week position or a short-term position on a film.  People who are using unpaid PAs on films know that those PAs are for the most part holding a day (or night) job as well and will be flexible about it; same with the unpaid internships…

Something to be aware of: California state law specifies that interns MUST be compensated, either through college credits or - gasp! - by being paid at least minimum wage.  Most of the unpaid internships will say “for college credit only” and “require” you to be in school, although many still wink and nudge if you’re not.

A good place to look if you’re curious is to do a search for the UTA Job List…you’re only supposed to get it if you’re “official” (like a student at UCLA, or in the biz somehow) but there’s copies floating around on the Net all the time.  It’s updated every couple of weeks and lists a lot of assistant, intern and PA-type jobs in los Angeles (and even some in NYC, if I recall.)

Cheers,
Calix

Calix Lewis Reneau
17419 posts
Joined Aug 21, 2007

by Reece TedFord on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24am

Producing is a complete money game. You have to be able to put together the pieces to make a feature. That almost always means raising money. Then if you can raise money, you need to understand how to make money off the money you raised so you can do it again. It’s mostly a business position, the technical stuff is for the crew, talent-mainly..

Reece TedFord
44 posts
Joined Oct 15, 2007