Forum Home  >  Forums  >  General Discussion  >  Thread

Unshaken Faith - Claudia and Jamey Salley

Re: Unshaken Faith - Claudia and Jamey Salley

by Michael Tullos on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:21pm

Greetings!

Sorry for the dumb question, but I am hoping y’all can help me.

In a few weeks, I will finish Unshaken Faith, the story of an amazing couple. Claudia and Jamey Salley lost their four month old son in the same accident which left Claudia paralyzed. But they kept their strong faith in our LORD and in October 2009, Claudia became one of the few paraplegics in US history to give birth to healthy twins.

This triumph over tragedy story was documented on Discovery Health Channel’s Paralyzed and Pregnant with Twins. This popular episode aired several times in March 2010 and at least twice in August.

So now for my question: what is the best way to find a Christian filmmaker for the movie version of this book? Although this book is written for a general audience, there is no denying the overt references to God and the Salleys’ faith (hence the book’s title).

I have a few fellow teachers reviewing my updates; they have all suggested that the story will ultimately become a movie. Hopefully, the Discovery documentary and the interest of a filmmaker might help assure us of finding a major book publisher.

This book is authorized; in fact, Claudia and Jamey receive 50% of my royalties to help with future medical bills. Also, the book discusses a wonderful movement which happened after the accident; Levi’s Toy Box, named for four month old Levi Salley who died in the crash, is a collection of churches which collect toys and give them to hospitalized children on Christmas. We hope the book (and movie?) will help this idea grow.

Sorry for the long, overly detailed post. I hope someone has an idea on how to get the idea in the right hands.

Thanks so much!

Michael

[ Edited: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:36pm by Nathaniel Bluedorn ]
Michael Tullos
2 posts
Joined Aug 16, 2010

by Nathaniel Bluedorn on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:31pm

Changed the name of this thread.

[ Edited: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:35pm by Nathaniel Bluedorn ]
Nathaniel Bluedorn
3181 posts
Joined May 31, 2007

by Calix Lewis Reneau on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:35pm

1) Welcome to CF.org - I hope your inclined to stay on and become part of the community after you find your specific answer.

2) I didn’t see any dumb questions in that post.

3) It was a moderately short post compared to some around here!

4) In answer to your question, pop over to this thread - http://www.christianfilmmakers.org/forums/viewthread/7543/ - and use the CF.org email system to contact Ash; he’s had much success with faith-based docus thus far and is probably the best resource here.

Cheers,
Calix

Calix Lewis Reneau
17357 posts
Joined Aug 21, 2007

by Michael Tullos on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:16pm

Thank you very much !!  I appreciate the your kindness and help. And yes, I would like to stay - it looks like a very interesting site!  cool smile

Michael Tullos
2 posts
Joined Aug 16, 2010

by Calix Lewis Reneau on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04pm

Welcome then (again!)

Just don’t get dragged down into my theological ramblings - aka heretical postings - and you’ll be fine!

Cheers,
Calix

(...or, rather, when you do find yourself getting dragged down into grappling with my heresies, don’t take the whole matter too seriously - whatever it might be; remember, no one gets out of here alive, not even in second life…)

Calix Lewis Reneau
17357 posts
Joined Aug 21, 2007

by Kim P. Wells on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:34am

Michael,

Welcome.

So the book is not published at this point? and Discovery already did the Doc, right?

Calix, whom you’ve met here, has produced a few…;)

Larry Levinson comes to mind (Love Comes Softly series) first as a production company that would take on stories of this nature. He does a lot of Hallmark films but is difficult to get a hold of.

Larry Levinson Productions and Alpine Productions
500 South Sepulveda Blvd.
Suite 610
Los Angeles, CA 90049.

In Jesus Name Productions - (although they are usually looking for completed scripts)

Sarah Anne Sumpolec
In Jesus’ Name Productions
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Trost Moving Pictures (A Christmas Snow)
Joe Jestus (can contact him on Facebook)

Advent Film Group
George Escobar
http://www.adventfilmgroup.com/Home.html (also on Facebook)

I’m sure there are many others even here…

Got a screenwriter attached to write the script or is this something you’re planning to take on?

Great story,

Best…

smile

Kim P. Wells
668 posts
Joined Mar 25, 2009

by Michael Tullos on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25pm

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for the great information. I’ll get started on it right away. I’m glad you mentioned someone with connections to Hallmark; I think it would be perfect for that channel.

Right now, I do not have a screenwriter. In fact, I would not know how to find one of those either. That is one project which I would never undertake myself. For some reason, I write in a way that seems to affect people (I hope that didn’t sound conceited; I’m really not - I’m just a teacher who loves teaching and writing stories) but my ability to “turn a phrase” would not help me write a movie. So I’ll leave that to the experts. LOL - If anyone on this site is interested, we can sure talk about it.

You’re right; the book is not published yet. It appears that I might have found a Canadian publisher (subject to approval of the final manuscript), but I have not found a US publisher yet. I’ve only recently begun sending “queries” since I wanted the book to be near its completion prior to contacting publishers. But I’ll admit that I am getting the “Thanks, but we are looking for published authors” replies. I wish they would at least read a sample of my writing! The only one who has read a sample chapter was the lady in Canada, who apparently liked it quite a bit.

Discovery Channel featured the story in 2 documentaries. Paralyzed and Pregnant with Twins was solely about them - this was shown several times in March. In August, their story was #4 on Discovery’s 10 Most Amazing Pregnancies. That might have been why Discovery began showing the original story again. Apparently, it was quite popular.

During the showing of Paralyzed and Pregnant with Twins, we were under the impression that the wreck would not be mentioned. As soon as stark words on the screen mentioned that the Salleys had another son, my wife and I burst into tears.

Thanks again for the suggestions and kind comments. I agree that it is a great story - Claudia and Jamey are unbelievable! And the twins are precious. I leave in tears every time I interview them. Their faith is unreal. If I cannot make the reader share our tears of sorrow as well as tears of joy, I haven’t done my job.

By the way, if anyone wonders why I am so passionate about this book (and why I am the author), Claudia is my wife’s niece. Writing this story has brought me closer to God - what are my hills compared to their mountains??

When Claudia gave me a letter she had written to Levi four months after his death, I knew we had something special. No one knew of the letter, including Jamey. But after reading one of the weekly updates, she sent it to me, asking me to include it in the book and saying “Maybe it’s time.”

Sorry, I am getting longwinded and my eyes are misty again. I am such a sentimental sap.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael Tullos
2 posts
Joined Aug 16, 2010

by Kim P. Wells on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:01am

Michael Tullos wrote:

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for the great information. I’ll get started on it right away. I’m glad you mentioned someone with connections to Hallmark; I think it would be perfect for that channel.

Right now, I do not have a screenwriter. In fact, I would not know how to find one of those either. That is one project which I would never undertake myself. For some reason, I write in a way that seems to affect people (I hope that didn’t sound conceited; I’m really not - I’m just a teacher who loves teaching and writing stories) but my ability to “turn a phrase” would not help me write a movie. So I’ll leave that to the experts. LOL - If anyone on this site is interested, we can sure talk about it.

You’re right; the book is not published yet. It appears that I might have found a Canadian publisher (subject to approval of the final manuscript), but I have not found a US publisher yet. I’ve only recently begun sending “queries” since I wanted the book to be near its completion prior to contacting publishers. But I’ll admit that I am getting the “Thanks, but we are looking for published authors” replies. I wish they would at least read a sample of my writing! The only one who has read a sample chapter was the lady in Canada, who apparently liked it quite a bit.

Discovery Channel featured the story in 2 documentaries. Paralyzed and Pregnant with Twins was solely about them - this was shown several times in March. In August, their story was #4 on Discovery’s 10 Most Amazing Pregnancies. That might have been why Discovery began showing the original story again. Apparently, it was quite popular.

During the showing of Paralyzed and Pregnant with Twins, we were under the impression that the wreck would not be mentioned. As soon as stark words on the screen mentioned that the Salleys had another son, my wife and I burst into tears.

Thanks again for the suggestions and kind comments. I agree that it is a great story - Claudia and Jamey are unbelievable! And the twins are precious. I leave in tears every time I interview them. Their faith is unreal. If I cannot make the reader share our tears of sorrow as well as tears of joy, I haven’t done my job.

By the way, if anyone wonders why I am so passionate about this book (and why I am the author), Claudia is my wife’s niece. Writing this story has brought me closer to God - what are my hills compared to their mountains??

When Claudia gave me a letter she had written to Levi four months after his death, I knew we had something special. No one knew of the letter, including Jamey. But after reading one of the weekly updates, she sent it to me, asking me to include it in the book and saying “Maybe it’s time.”

Sorry, I am getting longwinded and my eyes are misty again. I am such a sentimental sap.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael,

Within the screenwriting venue, there are requests for “true stories that overcome massive obstacles”. This story fits that request. It’s just the matter of pitching it to the proper company - a lot of research, networking, staying on top of the business.

Generally, because the story will be a published book, legal rights need to be established for the screenplay to be written before being accepted by any writer or production company. The company won’t touch it, unless this is in place.

These types of stories can be optioned/purchased before the actual piece is written and then generally the company hires a screenwriter they’ve worked with in the past to write it on assignment.

On the back end however, if the screenplay is written before the option or sale by a person of choice, you won’t have the Company’s initial parameters or input for the products (yes, they will opin in some way) but you’ll have the presentation of how you want the premise delivered; this will establish what you’re looking for. This should allow the potential Prod Co to assess if it’s really something they want to touch. (imho)

Or it could be written, entered in the prestigious Nichol Fellowship contest or the Kairos Contest and if it wins, you’ll have numerous companies approaching the writer.  (Long shot out of 8,000 entries…but God is a big God)

Regardless, the variables for production, budget, actors, equipment, location, venue (TV or Feature) and the ever-so-important “personalities” will all have a say in the final product…so, finding the right deal takes time and perseverance. The greatest preference is to work with people you know you can work with—a certain comfort level.

My humble opinion, yes, there are wonderful professionals, and yes, there are not so wonderful professionals. Pulling off the visual screenwriting craft is difficult and it is a skill that must be mastered but I’ve read many “un-produced” scripts that lay the professional’s work in the dirt,—down…deep…turned over…‘er a garden would grow on top of the filth…

Not to worry, writing is all about emotion and sentiment. smile

Kim P. Wells
668 posts
Joined Mar 25, 2009