Forum Home  >  Forums  >  Events and News  >  Thread

English Country Dancing DVD

Re: English Country Dancing DVD

by Garrett Stowe on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:21pm

Thanks for your patience in waiting for my response!

Yes, Lelia, I did build the jib. It worked pretty well but I have few ideas for the next one I build (it always seems to go that way!) As for the length of the video: It is a half hour long - about half dances, half documentary. 

We actually are in TN, Betsy!  Funny you should ask.  I looked up your zip code and realized that we are only two hours west of y’all. Thanks for your kind comments - your video look really nice also!

Jeffery, I have to agree that I love dancing too!  What style do you enjoy?  Some guys seem to think that dancing is not manly but…well, I tend to disagree! 

Take care, Garrett

[ Edited: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:24pm by Garrett Stowe ]
Garrett Stowe
12 posts
Joined Aug 09, 2011

by Betsy Clemons on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13am

That is funny. Two groups in TN making dance videos just two hours away from each other and never realizing it. I am aiming for a half hour as well with my video. I’ve not finished editing mine yet. Actually, my goal is to make three dance videos and sell them as a set. But I’m going to see how well this first one goes before making the next two.

Betsy Clemons
589 posts
Joined Dec 11, 2008

by Racheal Parker on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:17pm

This is irrelvent to the topic of film-making….BUT do either of y’all happen to know the time signiture of a dance called Waves Upon Ocean?(that’s the name I’ve been given…it may actaully have a ‘the’ between ‘upon’ and ‘ocean’...)
My sisters and I are supposed to be playing the music for a dance practice tomorrow night and we have everything in 2/4 and 4/4 timing…I just wondered if this dance by any chance was 3/4 or something else. I couldn’t find anything about it on the internet…
Thanks! Racheal

Racheal Parker
553 posts
Joined Jun 13, 2011

by Betsy Clemons on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:46am

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an actual dance called that, just a dance figure. Their is a square dance figure called that. Perhaps they are doing a dance that includes that figure. I don’t know what timing it would involve. Perhaps you could find a youtube video of someone doing the dance figure and base it on that.

Betsy Clemons
589 posts
Joined Dec 11, 2008

by Racheal Parker on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57am

Thanks, Betsy! My sister figures that since it’s a square dance figure that its in 4/4 timing (good bet I’d say).
Racheal

Racheal Parker
553 posts
Joined Jun 13, 2011

by Garrett Stowe on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:17pm

They arrived, Hurrah!  This afternoon UPS finally delivered the copies of my DVD…full color cover, shrink-wrapped, with printed discs and all!  It was pretty exciting to open the box and see row upon row of neatly packed DVD cases.  So, finally, I can start marketing the hard copy discs at barndances and reenactments as well as to internet vendors.

Just as a side note to all you on CF.org, for a little while I am offering this instructional documentary for $10.95 plus shipping…if you have any friends interested, please let them know too.  I’ll be getting a website here in the next couple days complete with all my past projects (and a couple of the ones in the works) in the next few days so stay tuned!

Take care,
    Garrett

Garrett Stowe
12 posts
Joined Aug 09, 2011

by Jeffrey French on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20pm

Garrett Stowe wrote:

Jeffery, I have to agree that I love dancing too!  What style do you enjoy?  Some guys seem to think that dancing is not manly but…well, I tend to disagree!

I enjoy square dancing and contra dancing.

Jeffrey French
698 posts
Joined May 25, 2009

by Garrett Stowe on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:23pm

Hey All,

Just thought I’d mention that I now have a (somewhat!) operational website that you could check out…there’s not a lot on there yet…but more is coming!  I’ve been so busy that I haven’t gotten around to getting it set up until just the other day.  Anyway, here’s the link,

Repairing the Breach Media

Thanks for reading,
    Garrett

P.S. Jeffery, I was interested to read that you like contra-dancing.  I’m in the process of learning some contra…but haven’t had the chance to practice for a while!  They are such fun, though and I look forward to learning some more.  Take care!

[ Edited: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:15pm by Garrett Stowe ]
Garrett Stowe
12 posts
Joined Aug 09, 2011

by Leila Williams on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:58pm

We got the DVD today. Excellent work!
I liked your use of art from by-gone years.

Leila Williams
1289 posts
Joined Feb 17, 2008

by Garrett Stowe on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:16pm

Thanks, Leila, for your kind words.  I really enjoyed finding all the old paintings/sketches…it was really fascinating to see the styles and fashions from bygone years.  Anyway, I’m glad you enjoyed it and look forward to seeing your DVD when it comes out!
      ~Garrett

Garrett Stowe
12 posts
Joined Aug 09, 2011